The holidays are a wonderful time to spend with friends and family. A time to laugh, cry, and share meals together. The holiday season is also a great reminder to be thankful and to be more intentional with our time and money. Something we’ve been working on recently.
I’ve also started using Zest, a gratitude journal app that has been a great way for me to remember to be thankful every day. What are some ways that you practice gratefulness?
We’ve also made a point to give more intentionally this year instead of simply giving just to give. We’re huge fans of giving experiences like an ice skating date or concert tickets. Check out this great read about intentional gift giving from Illume!
Speaking of the holidays… Are you still looking for some last minute holiday recipe ideas? Well we’ve got you covered! And as with most our recipes, we’ll sneak you an extra vegetable or two while we’re at it. 😉
Pair any or all of these “delicious dishes” (my favorite phrase!) with your turkey, ham, or staple of choice!
5 Healthy Holiday Salad & Side Recipes
And last but not least is our fresh-on-the-blog Brussels Sprout Salad! Light and peppered with pomegranate seeds for an extra fresh burst. Add our Brussels Sprout Salad to your holiday dinner celebrations!
“It’s all about quality of life and finding a happy balance between work and friends and family.” – Phillip GreenPrint
Conquer your Brussels sprouts woes with our Brussels sprout salad with pomegranate and bacon. Get the good bacon for this delicious dinner or holiday addition, or omit altogether for a healthy vegan dinner or side dish!
- ~5 cups shredded Brussels sprouts (Use a food processor, mandoline or your own cutting skills to shred)
- 2 slices bacon, go for certified humane
- 1 apple, julienned
- 1/4-1/2 cup pomegranate arils (I like to use the full 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup pecans, sliced
- Garnish with Parmesan
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a small skillet until crispy, remove from pan and pat down with a towel/paper towel to remove excess grease, crumble.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing by combining dressing ingredients in a bowl or jar and whisk/shake until fully combined.
- Combine shredded Brussels sprouts, crumbled bacon, sliced apple, pomegranate arils and pecans in a large bowl. Add dressing and mix until thoroughly combined. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
VEGAN or VEGETARIAN: Use vegan bacon or omit bacon, omit Parmesan cheese, and use maple syrup instead of honey.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Perfect veggie side dish for just about any meal. Great Thanksgiving side!