Spicy, warm and comforting. This carrot ginger soup is packed with wholesome veggies and flavorful spices. Perfect for a cozy meal!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 5 cups carrots (8 medium), washed, roughly chopped (no need to peel them)
- 1 medium potato, washed, diced (leave the skin on!)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, depending on your desired level of spice
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups broth (vegetable or chicken broth)
- 1 (13.6 oz.) can coconut milk
- garnish with mint leaves, pepitas and a sprinkle of lemon juice
- Heat large pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add coconut oil, once hot, add onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until translucent. Then add garlic and ginger, sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add potato, carrots and spices. Cover and cook for about 40-45 minutes or until potato and carrots are soft.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and puree. You can puree with an immersion blender or use a blender to carefully blend it in batches. Be sure not to overfill the blender and make sure to hold the lid down tight with a towel! Return to pot after pureeing.
- Return to heat and add coconut milk, stirring to combine, just until the soup is thoroughly heated. Adjust seasons as desired.
- Garnish with mint leaves, pepitas and a sprinkle of lemon juice.
- Enjoy! We like it with a slice of fresh bread!
I like to make a big batch of this over the weekend and enjoy it throughout the week! Or freeze it for a later date! Just thaw and heat for a quick meal!