Learn the tricks to making perfectly crispy baked tofu! This tofu is an awesome addition to just about any Asian meal. And it’s a great way to incorporate more plant-based proteins!
- 1 package of firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos, soy sauce, soy sauce alternative (optional)
- 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- Seasoning: 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or whatever seasoning you’d like!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Drain the tofu and use your hands to squeeze out any liquid. Slice the tofu into 1/2-3/4 inch slabs and place side by side on a tea towel. Wrap the tofu in the towel and place a cutting board or baking sheet on top of the tofu. Now place something heavy (dutch oven, cans, etc.) on top to press the liquid out. Let it rest this way for at least 15-30 minutes.
- Cut the tofu slabs into cubes (or whatever shape you’d like) and transfer to a large bowl. The thinner the cube, the crispier the tofu.
- Drizzle olive oil and seasonings over tofu and stir to coat. This is when you can add any other seasonings or marinate the tofu. Then coat the tofu cubes in cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
- Arrange tofu in a single layer on the lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and flip, then bake for another 15 minutes or until they reach your desired crispiness.
Refrigerate leftover tofu and reheat in oven or frying pan to crisp up again.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Great in a stir-fry or curry, as an alternative to meat in many dishes or try in our Black Bean Tofu Bowl, Spicy Cashew Zucchini Noodles, or Honey Sesame Tofu with Roasted Asian Vegetables!