Scrumptious and portable! These bite-sized energy balls are the perfect snack for long days on the mountain. And of course a yummy after-school snack!
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey or agave
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cups rolled oats (old fashioned oats)
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup craisins
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, stir to combine peanut butter, honey, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add remaining ingredients: oats, ground flax, chia seeds, chopped walnuts, dried cranberries and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Let sit in fridge for about 30 minutes (this makes it easier to roll into balls).
- Remove from fridge and roll into about 1″ balls. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. (If they’ll even last that long! Ours disappear in a day or two…)
SUBSTITUTION: Feel free to play around with the ingredients as you’d like.
- Use another nut butter (almond butter, sunbutter, cashew butter, soybutter) instead of peanut butter. Check out our homemade peanut butter and almond butter recipes!
- Use agave or maple syrup instead of honey (note: I have not tested maple syrup so I can’t vouch that it will turn out the same. If you try it, let me know how it turns out!)
- Feel free to use other add-ins, like chopped dates, apricots, raisins, or other nuts. Experiment!
Just remember to adjust as needed. If it’s too dry, add a bit more peanut butter or honey. If it’s too sticky, add more oats.
I rolled these into 1-inch balls, but you can make them bigger or smaller. Or even flatten them on a baking pan and make them into bars!
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Make sure to use certified gluten-free ingredients
TO MAKE VEGAN: Use agave instead of honey and make sure to use vegan chocolate chips or omit chocolate chips.